- The event staff will provide assignments and necessary training.
- Since the CCRR benefits the non-profit Impression 5 Science Center and the Cooly 5K benefits schools, volunteers are eligible to receive community service hours.
- Volunteers also receive a long-sleeved technical race shirt.
- A party will be held at for all volunteers. They will receive after-party details in the weeks following Race Weekend.
MAJOR VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
Bag check: Take gear bags from participants at the start, load them on to a truck and return them at the finish.
Course marshals: Ensure safety at intersections and direct runners along the course. Arrival time and duration of commitment will vary depending on course location. Note that area high school cross country teams and honor societies are being recruited to serve as course marshals, but adult volunteers are needed as well.
Crowd control: Direct participants to where they need to go and prevent congestion at start and finish areas. Cyclists: Needed to ride ahead of the races to warn other users of the River Trail, to help lead the races, to call out times to runners at mile splits, to report problems, and to ensure safety along the courses.
Food: Set-up and distribution of food to participants in finish area after they complete the race.
Pacers: Pacers will be in the start corral early to meet racers. Pacers will help racers to reach their PR goals and help them celebrate their half marathon accomplishments (Half Marathoners don’t need to sign-up for a pace group, they can just join on race morning). Pacers will be in costume and will also have a flag with their pace time along with a sign with their finish time on their back. When there are pacing partners (most pace groups), one pacer will stay on consistent pace at the front of the group while the other acts as a sweeper in the back of the group. The most common question: Do racers need to stay with their pace group the entire race? Absolutely not! Pacers will never be upset if a racer is feeling strong and picks up the pace.
Distributing and Retrieving Supplies: We need a van or truck for distributing and retrieving supplies to aid stations and for other needs along the course.
Set-Up: We need volunteers to help set-up the course Start and Finish areas before the races start. This requires early arrival.
Start & Finish Areas: We need volunteers to help pass out medals, post results, pick up trash, and monitor or replenish supplies.
Tear-Down: We need volunteers to help tear down course Start and Finish areas when races are finished
To find out more about volunteering, contact us:
We’re using VolunteerSpot (the leading online signup and reminder tool) to organize our upcoming activity.
Please sign up for Capital City River Run Weekend Of Races!
Here’s how it works in 3 easy steps:
1. Click this link to go to our invitation page on VolunteerSpot: http://vols.pt/V9eqnX
2. Enter your email address: (You will NOT need to register an account on VolunteerSpot)
3. Sign up! Choose your spots – VolunteerSpot will send you an automated confirmation and reminders. Easy!
Note: VolunteerSpot does not share your email address with anyone. If you prefer not to use your email address, please contact me and I can sign you up manually.